I have been learning a lot about healthy eating in the past few months, but the one thing that is really hitting home for me now is…….how important it is to be organised.
Although organisation is not one of my strong suits, it is key in pursuing a healthy lifestyle (for me at least). Summer time means my routine is changing around: more time is spent outdoors, less indoors. Hence if I don’t plan in advance, chances are after a day swimming at the beach i’ll be inhaling anything that comes my way…and when we talk about the beach everything is pretty much deep fried or ice cream! Eeeeek!! I cannot stop myself.
I can’t help but kick myself in these situations where if I had something ready like a container of fruit for example, i’d feel much more content afterwards. But these things require pre-planning, anticipation and advice from the boy scouts – “Always be prepared!”. And so this week I am going to take baby steps towards this goal and try my best to plan out my day (snacks included) in the most efficient way possible. Currently my go-to snacks are peanut butter on a slice of wholemeal toast, vegan overnight oatmeal or hummus and crackers. But again, being at home isn’t as difficult as being out and about is! Healthy cereal bars and fruit are a good choice for portability.
I will report back with updates on how I managed keeping on track (fingers crossed) whilst not wandering around.
I do have one secret weapon to get me through: this deliciously healthy granola! I have lost count of how many times I’ve made this granola and given it away. My brother and SIL always ask for it and it is the one foolproof thing I know is a hit anywhere it goes. I hardly have any left over in the end….so if any of y’all make it, send some my way 😉 Don’t let this long list of ingredients scare you!
(adapted from http://www.ohsheglows.com)
- 2.5 cups rolled oats (regular not instant)
- 1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Gather all the dry ingredients into a large bowl
3. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add all the wet ingredients and bring to a boil. Then let it simmer for 5-10 minutes on low, stirring frequently.