What are your favourite desserts? Chocolate cake? Banoffee pie? Your mum’s special homemade something something? These vegan brownies are going to secure their place in your list guaranteed!
They are so good in a melt-in-your-mouth way, served hot or cold, with ice cream on top….are you getting what I am trying to tell you?
You have no option but to make these…..please 🙂 And so without further ado…(that is how it is spelt I checked).
Adapted from ohsheglows.
- 1.5 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, whisked
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole almonds, ground into a flour/meal & sifted (OR sub 1.5 cups almond flour)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Earth Balance or other non-dairy butter substitute
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate, divided
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (note: a reduction in sugar will lead to a more cake-like brownie)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Please excuse my terrible pictures – i’m working on the new camera I promise!
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 9 inch pan with parchment paper and grease the sides. Whisk the flax and water (the flax egg) and set aside.
2. In a blender or processor, process the almonds until it forms a flour and then sift the flour to eliminate the large pieces. Alternatively, use almond flour.
3. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients (flours, cocoa, salt, soda).
4. In a large, microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the Vitalite and microwave for 30-45 seconds. Stir well and add in flax egg, sugar, vanilla, and milk. Whisk away.
5. Stir wet mixture over dry mixture and stir well. The mixture will be very dry but keep mixing!
6. Now, fold in the walnuts and the 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
7. Spread the batter into the pan and even the top out with your hands. You can also place a piece of parchment paper on top and use a pastry roller.
8. Bake for 32-34 minutes at 180 degrees C, and allow brownies to cool in the pan for 1.5 hours. DO NOT REMOVE THE BROWNIES until completely cool or they will crack apart. After an hour or so, gently remove the edges of the brownie from the pan with a butterknife and place onto a cooling rack. Cool completely and slice carefully. Some cracking may occur but that gives you more pieces to eat.
9. Store in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. Although they may only last a few hours…
The next dessert you have will have a lot to taste up to!
What is your favourite dessert?