How are you all? The verdict on being gluten-free for one week is………that it is much easier and not as scary as it seems! This is why i’ve decided to continue this until the end of the year and keep an eye on the changes that I would notice.
Here are just a few easy meals that are gluten-free:
1. Baked sweet potato with your a topping like homemade hummus.
2. Steamed or pan fried fish (salmon, swordfish, tuna etc.) I usually put some olive oil and parsley on top.
3. Green monsters – Oh yeah! Almost a year later and I’m still obsessed.
4. Eggs. I feel like I just rediscovered eggs. Boiled, sunny side up, scrambled. You all know they are a great source of protein and on top of a slice of gluten-free bread – yum!
5. Homemade tomato sauce with gluten-free pasta or butternut squash mac n’ cheeze!
6. Homemade Pho (Recipe coming tomorrow).
7. Brown rice tofu stir-fry with gluten-free stir-fry sauce.
8. Homemade soups.
So basically, a little walk around the “free-from” section at your local supermarket can replace the usual staples: bread and pasta, stir-fry sauce, even chocolate fingers. I am aware that the whole point is to eat more real foods and less sugar and refined goods or even carbohydrates but baby steps are key! I’m also sure that every now and again I might come across something with gluten as one of its ingredients such as soya sauce but again this is a learning process 🙂
I also must note that I am not super strict on myself if I go out to eat but do try to avoid gluten as much as possible.
I love the challenge and look forward to finding out any differences toward the end of the month. Although it has only been a week, and my diet has not changed significantly, I’m loving not eating so many carbohydrates and feeling heavy afterwards.
I came across this quote and loved it so much, I couldn’t wait to share it with you:
Have yourselves a lovely week 🙂