I don’t know about you guys but i’ve always found Nutella to be one of the best things man ever made. The chocolate hazelnut spread that gave me so many delicious ways to eat it: on toast, on pancakes, on anything, and of course, straight out of the spoon. Yum yum.
I haven’t actually had Nutella since I started this quest on healthy eating – or rather haven’t bought the tub home but it’s sneakily made its way back to me via ferrero rochers and ice cream flavours 🙂
My cousin is also another fan of Nutella but since she is on a paleo diet and cannot have any, I decided to make her a paleo, vegan version for her birthday. The result was better than expected. Roasted hazelnuts are the bomb ! 🙂 It’s also pretty easy with the most time consuming process being blanching the hazelnuts….ready?
Adapted from Paleo Spirit
1 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
Pinch of sea salt
If the hazelnuts are not already blanched –
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
2. Roast the hazelnuts for 10 minutes.
3. With a damp cloth rub the hazelnuts to remove the skin easily and place in a bowl.
5. Place blanched hazelnuts into the food processor and process until creamy.
6. Add coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla essence and pinch of salt into the food processor and continue to process until smooth.
7. Store in the refrigerator.
Have it with a spoon….
I saved a bit for myself and the rest for my cousin, but my part didn’t last for long !
This recipe turned out to be better than I expected – so much so that I must make some more for myself today! 🙂
Have you ever made homemade Nutella?